Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Re-Animator

 This is the last of the three horrors I watched within the last few hours. It is by far the best of them, and unlike the other two it hasn't dated as badly.
 I am surprised because after the first two 80's horrors I was expecting this one to be the same. It was made in 1985 and has stood the test of time remarkably well. I would put this down to the fact that it is very similar to the Saw films in use of the effects. They really haven't changed much in over 25 years. To call Re-animator a horror is a mis-nomer. It is more a comedy/gorefest. And a damn fine one!
 Yes!! It has tits in it! So lets get that 80's clique out of the way first ( and they are yummy! ). This film  has actually got some reasonable acting and a semblance of a plot. It isn't too much of a burden on the brain to watch, but it just so enjoyable! I just loved every minute of it. The character Herbert West is well portrayed, so dead pan and serious whilst his experiment is causing bloody mayhem around him.
 I especially like it when he cut off doctor Hill's head and re-animated it in a metal surgical dish. Hilarious, and for its age still looking good. Like I stated if you have seen the Saw films then you'll know what to expect gore wise in this film. But I would rather watch Re-Animator any day over Saw. I have a real problem with the Saw fims. How do we watch that stuff as entertainment?? Re-
Animator has a comedic element so it can't be taken too seriously. It is so stupid that it is highly entertaining.
 Another 'cult' classic, and with this one I can see why. Stupid?, yes, bloody?, yes, great fun? ABSOLUTELY!!!  An 80's horror/comedy/gorefest that has stood the test of time remarkably well over many other films of its type from the era. Well worth seeing if you are into the genre or are broad minded enough and watch anything involving celluloid.
Click here for more:

No comments:

Post a Comment